Who We Are
Mercator Advisory Group joined the Escalent family in 2022. Mercator produces reports in multiple different payment industry verticals, as well as is the trusted advisor to the payments industry globally, charting the course for sustained growth and profitability. Mercator Advisory Group provides independent and objective analysis that assists our members in uncovering new market opportunities and optimizing current strategic initiatives for maximum revenue generation and cost containment.
Escalent is a top human behavior and analytics advisory firm specializing in industries facing disruption and business transformation. As catalysts of progress for more than 40 years, we tell stories that transform data and insights into a profound understanding of what drives human beings. We help businesses turn those drivers into actions that build brands, enhance customer experiences and inspire product innovation.
Why Escalent? Once you join our team you will have the opportunity to…
- Access experts across industries for maximum learning opportunities including Weekly Knowledge Sharing Sessions, LinkedIn Learning, and more.
- Gain exposure to a rich variety of research techniques from knowledgeable professionals.
- Enjoy a remote first/hybrid work environment with a flexible schedule.
- Obtain insights into the needs and challenges of your clients—to learn how the world’s leading brands use research.
- Experience peace of mind working for a company with a commitment to conducting research ethically.
- Build lasting relationships with fun colleagues in a culture that values each person.
As Director of Merchant, you will join a team of accomplished analysts, consultants, and researchers who identify, monitor and analyze trends in payments and fintech. You will be responsible for the research produced in this practice, and develop insights and identify opportunities for leading banks, payment service providers, merchants, fintech providers, government agencies and other financial service and payments entities.
- Lead Mercator’s Merchant practice with responsibility for revenue and income targets. Develop business and relationships with new clients and serve as trusted advisor to our existing clients.
- Advise clients and prospects based on the merchant and acquiring industry knowledge and expertise.
- Author and develop new research reports (incorporating quantitative and qualitative data and analysis)
- Identify topics of highest value to our clients and determine annual research calendar.
- On emerging topics of highest industry interest, create and publicize findings, recommendations and predictions that are timely, specific, actionable, and defendable.
- Design and oversee survey questionnaires, with the assistance of our research team. Develop scorecards, forecasts and incorporate the findings into reports and consulting work.
- Ensure all custom and consulting project elements are completed to meet client requirements. Present proposals, manage projects to a budget, make revisions, and work to profitable outcomes.
- Maintain a high industry profile among peers, as evidenced by media citations, social media impact and, ultimately, client choice. Present at conferences, industry events and webinars.
- 10 years in a merchant and / or acquiring related leadership role, industry analyst or management consulting role
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, with a strong ability to communicate orally and in written business formats, coupled with a comfort with numbers
- Experience with creating or updating payments and technology product roadmaps, marketing launch plans and product positioning
- Expertise in business development, ideally managing a portfolio of $1 million or more
- Experience in a client servicing role, with creative ability to meet financial targets
- Merchant payments and acquiring subject matter expert with a focus on consumer payments and payments technology
- Working knowledge of historical, current and emergent payment related issues and trends
- Proven ability to create new findings and recommendations for executive audiences
- Ability to create a differentiated advisory position based on rigorous research data
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and set priorities based on financial impact
- An ability to work independently and cooperatively toward financial goal attainment
- Comfort level with a variety of market research methods
- Passion for research and excellence in client satisfaction and growth
- Superior attention to detail and an insistence on research integrity
- Comfortable with a fast-paced and growing company
Benefits and Culture
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – Large carriers on a national level (domestic partner coverage included)
- 401k with Company Match – No vesting period; bi-weekly contributions
- Flexible PTO – Feel no guilt in taking off a minimum of 3 weeks of “real” vacation time
- Paid Parental Leave – 12 weeks for maternity and 6 weeks for paternity, including adoption
- 11 Paid Company Holidays
- Hybrid/Virtual Work – Virtual-first workforce with employees in most states
Explore our Careers and Culture page to learn more about the people behind the brand: https://escalent.co/careers-and-culture/
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.